Sunday, August 12, 2007

Today's MLK?

"I'm the Ali of today. I'm the Marvin Gaye of today. I'm the Bob Marley of today. I'm the Martin Luther King, or all the other greats that have come before us. And a lot of people are starting to realize that now."

If you are wondering who is the man who declared this eyebrow-raising quote, I will give you two hints. One: he is a black male celebrity. Two: he is considered an idol like all these mentioned famous people and did have an impact on children's lives.

If you're thinking Allen Iverson or Charles Barkley or even Xzibit, rapper and host of "Pimp My Ride", you are dead wrong. Give up? Alright, surprise, surprise, it's Robert Sylvester Kelly aka R. Kelly and the Pied Piper!

Okay, okay, so he's not in the league with these greats, but he did make history and have impact on the lives of children albeit the impact being several accusations of doing the nasty with underage girls. Okay, I'm done with the sarcasm and flat out say though I believe everyone has their own share of demons, but really this man had the nerve to compare himself to Martin Luther King and other great men. Far as I recalled, from watching documentries on MLK, his speech did not go like this:

"I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: 'Eighteen means nothing and age ain't nothing but a number, as there is nothing wrong with a lil' bump and grind."

As of now, I 'm finished ranting about R. Kelly. What's your opinions on what he said and what do you think him?

No comments: